Development Centre forApplied Dynamics
Machine Foundation Design
Competency Centre for Frame and Block Foundation
Rotary, Reciprocating, Impact Machines and Vibration Isolation
About the Handbook
Preface to 2nd Edition
Table of Contents
This 2nd edition is based on the feedback from the Practising Engineers during various Training Programs conducted by the author.
The feedback from various programs is broadly compiled and placed as under:
- It was suggested by participants (primarily practising engineers) that mathematical derivations be taken out and placed at the end.
- More design examples to be added in the book to cover variety of problems.
- Since higher capacity output is the need of the hour, many of the industries are engaged in upgrading the machines resulting in Renovation and Modernization of the plants. Handling of machine foundations for such R & M projects is a challenging task. It was emphasized that the book must provide coverage to these aspects.
- It was practically common suggestions that Vibration Isolation be given a wider coverage.
- Foundations for machine like Press also need to be included in the book.
- Detailed modeling and analysis by FE must be given in the book.
In view of the above, effort has been made to provide additional coverage to most of the suggestions made by participants. Broadly, the inclusions and deletions made in the 2nd edition are as under:
- Mathematical Derivations from all the chapters have been taken to the Appendix placed at the end of the book. With this the text along with equations and resulting solution that is needed for design becomes un-interrupted for the user.
- Additional parameters pertaining to machine and foundation, that ultimately influence machine response, have been added to the respective chapters to bring more clarity on machine behaviour that should be known to the designer for achieving better machine performance.
- Many more detailed design examples have been added in each chapter covering design of real life machine-foundations.
- For the benefit of the practising engineers, a chapter has been added covering machine foundation design for R & M Projects. Key issues that need special attention/treatment are highlighted.
- Difficulties experienced by designers while using standard structural analysis packages for machine foundation designs have been added in modeling and analysis.
It is anticipated that with the additions as above, this 2nd edition shall place practising engineers in a comfortable position with regard to designs of machine foundations.
DR K. G. BHATIA